Seeking a Second Opinion

(This post is out of sequence as I try to fill in the gaps in my cancer journey.) This story begins on June 30, 2013 when I discovered a lump in my left breast. That day has changed my life forever – some ways good, some ways not so good. If you would like to read the journey about my battle with breast cancer from the beginning, click here.

If you only want to read the post right before this one, click here.

Double Mastectomy Surgery Scheduled

The surgery was scheduled for Wednesday, August 21st, provided I could come up with the funds for the necessary down payments by Friday August 16th. Coming up with the down payments was to be no small feat because our business had failed and my husband and I were both unemployed.

Not knowing where to turn, we looked to our church family. They referred us to an organization within our parent church, Make-A-Way Charities. The elders felt that they would be able to help us make this happen, so I went ahead and scheduled the surgery.

Seeking a Second Opinion

finding a naturopathAt the same time, I realized that this was a very serious decision to make without having a second opinion. Conventional medicine dictated that I should have the surgery, plus chemotherapy and radiation treatments. I had already decided not to do the chemo and radiation, so I felt that I needed to seek the advice of an alternative practitioner concerning the surgery as well. They are hard to find …. at least they were for me.

I googled naturopaths, alternative medicine cancer, alternative practitioners, etc., everything I could think of to find someone who could provide me with answers. I eventually found a naturopath 45 minutes from my house, Dr. Kimberly Wilson. Although naturopaths are not licensed to practice in Texas, Dr. Wilson was a member of the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians. In fact she was the only member in the association to be found in Texas. Many others were located in Oklahoma and practiced at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. But I felt fortunate that a member of the association was so close and accessible to me, so I scheduled an appointment.

Because I was not able to finalize funding for the surgery by the deadline, and because I felt compelled to get a second opinion, I cancelled the surgery. It just didn’t feel right … of course, I had breast cancer so a lot of things were not feeling right. But, I digress.

I went to see Dr. Wilson on Monday, August 16th. I had so many questions that I wanted to have answers to … and I had them all typed out and ready. I’m sure she spent a lot longer with me than she had intended, but I got most of them answered. The biggest question I had, the one that I really wanted an answer to, “Should I have the mastectomy?” she answered with a very short statement, “If you were my sister, I would tell you to do it.”

She gave me dietary guidelines, she fought cancer mainly through the use of nutrition and supplements. I left her office with my next appointment scheduled and hundreds of dollars of supplements. I had my marching orders. I was ready to go and do battle against the enemy, cancer. And I did!


The bills continue to pile up as Cindy battles cancer. If you would like to make a donation to help her battle the cancer, an account has been set up at GoFundMe. Your donations are appreciated. Every dollar counts!

Photo attribution: Doctor,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>